Home > Legal Articles > Should I employ my boyfriend or girlfriend?

Should I employ my boyfriend or girlfriend?

Posted on Tuesday, 27th August 2013 by

Photo Credit: mrhayata via Compfight cc

It is increasingly common for unmarried couples to choose not to marry, and in many cases this could stem from a belief that an unmarried partner has little claim on property owned by the other.  We are seeing an increasing number of cases where the couple have worked together on a business venture, albeit that this may only be held in one name legally.  On separation, one person then loses out.

Whilst it is not so easy for an unmarried partner to claim entitlement to any wealth of the other on separation, co-habitees can make claims to a share in a business they may have worked in or on if they are able to demonstrate the entitlement to do so. These claims are hard to mount successfully but the disruption and cost to the ongoing business can be enormous.

There are two ways to protect against this:

  1. Employment contracts – if a person has been paid for the work they have done in the business, then this greatly reduces the likelihood of any claim being successful.
  2. Cohabitation agreements can remove this concern and can also deal with other non-business assets.

Of course, the landscape changes on marriage!

Faye Remnant is part of our Family Law team based in Loughborough; our Solicitors in Loughborough are experts in their fields and dedicated to quality client care. If you would like to find out more about our solicitors in Loughborough please contact us.

Keep up to date with our daily blogs through the Edward Hands & Lewis mobile app, just search Edward Hands on the iPhone or Android store to download our app for free.


Talk to our legal team
1 Step 1

Quick Quote

Your Nameyour full name
Contact Number
Post Codeyour full name
Your Messagemore details
0 /

Faye Williamson - Family Law
Faye Williamson - Family Law
faye.williamson@ehlsolicitors.co.uk 01509 212 108
Related author articles
Article tags
Map and pin icon
Sign up to our newsletter
  ERROR: 8 - CURL error: Couldn't resolve host ' py296.infusionsoft.com'