Home > Legal Articles > How do I end my Civil Partnership?

How do I end my Civil Partnership?

Posted on Thursday, 18th July 2013 by

Photo Credit: Kat…B via Compfight cc

You can apply to end (or often known as dissolve) your civil partnership by following three main steps, providing that the partnership has been valid for at least one year. The three steps are:


  • Filing a dissolution petition – permission must be applied for through the courts to end your civil partnership, and reasons must be shown as to why the split is wanted. Your full name and address, civil partner’s full name and address and your civil partnership certificate (original or register office copy) must be included in this. Also, any names and dates of birth of children you may have must also be included, no matter what their age is.
  • Apply for a conditional order – if your civil partner agrees to the petition, a document comes through the post stating that there is not a reason as to why you cannot divorce.
  • Apply for a final order – this then legally ends your civil partnership. Six weeks must have passed since the receipt of the conditional order before applying for this final order.


Like marriage, there must are relevant grounds for ending a civil partnership. They are very similar to marriage ending grounds. There are four grounds in total that can be shown;


  • Unreasonable behaviour – this could include verbal or physical abuse, a partner being sexually unfaithful, money being irresponsibly used, or mental/physical cruelty.
  • Desertion – if your partner has left you without your agreement or a good reason, or wanted to end your relationship then this counts for grounds to dissolve a civil partnership. If your partner has left you for more than two years in the past two and a half years then this also counts.
  • If you have lived apart for more than two years and both agree to the end of the civil partnership then this is a ground. After five years, you can end your civil partnership, even if your partner disagrees.


If your partner agrees to end the civil partnership, then you can get a conditional order. This is the first of two stages to dissolving the civil partnership. The second stage is getting the final order. If your partner does not agree to dissolving the civil partnership, a conditional order can still be applied for, however a court hearing is usually made to discuss the case.


The ending of your civil partnership is clarified with the final order. This can be applied for six weeks after the conditional orders date. If you do not apply within twelve months of getting the conditional order, you will have to explain the delay to the courts. The final order is given after the courts have checked that you have given all the details that they asked for within their time limits, and that the needs of any children have been taken into account. A new civil partnership can be entered into after the final order has been received.


Faye Remnant is part of our Family Law team based in Loughborough; our Solicitors in Loughborough are experts in their fields and dedicated to quality client care. If you would like to find out more about our solicitors in Loughborough please contact us.

Keep up to date with our daily blogs through the Edward Hands & Lewis mobile app, just search Edward Hands on the iPhone or Android store to download our app for free.





Talk to our legal team

The information provided in all of our blogs reflects only a narrative of some elements to consider on the topic. The blogs do not contain considered legal advice and should not be relied upon as advice. Please see our website terms and conditions for full details of our disclaimer. If you are interested in obtaining advice, please contact one of our lawyers who will be happy and able to advise you on your own particular circumstances.

1 Step 1

Quick Quote

Your Nameyour full name
Contact Number
Post Codeyour full name
Your Messagemore details
0 /

Related author articles
Article tags

Map and pin icon
Sign up to our newsletter
  ERROR: 8 - CURL error: