Home > Legal Articles > If I want to sue someone do I have to go to Court?

If I want to sue someone do I have to go to Court?

Posted on Wednesday, 25th February 2015 by

Photo Credit: Ronnie Macdonald via Compfight cc

Presently if you wish to resolve a dispute by issuing Court proceedings you will need to give evidence at a final hearing if the case is not resolved by agreement in the lead up to such hearing. Whilst the evidence will primarily take the format of a written witness statement, you will be required at Court for examination and re-examination on the content of your statement. Therefore, as it stands the answer to whether you will need to attend Court is ‘Yes’.

However, Professor Richard Susskind and his online dispute resolution advisory group has released a report, much welcomed by Her Majesty’s Court and Tribunal Service, that may alter this. Going forward disputes of non-criminal cases with a value of less than £25,000.00 could be dealt with online and eliminate the need for the parties to attend Court.

Whilst the concept is in its infancy as an idea scheduled to be rolled out in 2017, it appears it would follow the dispute resolution system presently used very successfully by eBay– which settles 60 million disputes each year.

Talk to our legal team

The information provided in all of our blogs reflects only a narrative of some elements to consider on the topic. The blogs do not contain considered legal advice and should not be relied upon as advice. Please see our website terms and conditions for full details of our disclaimer. If you are interested in obtaining advice, please contact one of our lawyers who will be happy and able to advise you on your own particular circumstances.

1 Step 1

Quick Quote

Your Nameyour full name
Contact Number
Post Codeyour full name
Your Messagemore details
0 /

Paul Stubbs - Litigation
Paul Stubbs - Litigation
paul.s@ehlsolicitors.co.uk 01332 862 113
Related author articles
Article tags
    Map and pin icon
    Sign up to our newsletter
      ERROR: 8 - CURL error: