Home > Legal Articles > Can I withhold rent payable to my landlord if he fails to make repairs to my residential property?

Can I withhold rent payable to my landlord if he fails to make repairs to my residential property?

Posted on Wednesday, 7th August 2013 by

Photo Credit: mag3737 via Compfight cc

There is no automatic right for a tenant to withhold rent payable to a landlord in a residential property.  If a tenant finds themselves in a position where repairs are required, a procedure should be followed with the withholding of rent being a last resort.


  1. Report the problem to the landlord in writing, requesting the repairs to be completed within a specified (reasonable) time.
  2. Follow up – send a second letter to the landlord to inform them you intend to instruct someone to carry out the work yourself and intend to deduct the cost of the work from your rent.
  3. Obtain 3 quotations for the repairs to be completed by a professional.
  4. Send the quotations to your landlord and inform them you will instruct the person with the cheapest quotation unless the landlord arranged for work to be done within a specific time period.
  5. Pay for the work to be completed, send a receipt to your landlord asking for a refund.
  6. If no refund is given, write to the landlord and specify how much will be deducted from the future rent and for what period.


A tenant should keep a copy of all correspondence to ensure adequate evidence is available should it be required in the future.  Failing to take the above steps may leave the tenant in a vulnerable position.


If you are unsure of your rights as a tenant, get in touch with our litigation team for a no obligation discussion on 0800 999 8880.

Frances Jacobs is one of our Solicitors in Leicester, who are all experts in their fields and dedicated to quality client care. If you would like to find out more about our solicitors in Leicester please contact us.


Keep up to date with our daily blogs through the Edward Hands & Lewis mobile app, just search Edward Hands on the iPhone or Android store to download our app for free



Talk to our legal team

The information provided in all of our blogs reflects only a narrative of some elements to consider on the topic. The blogs do not contain considered legal advice and should not be relied upon as advice. Please see our website terms and conditions for full details of our disclaimer. If you are interested in obtaining advice, please contact one of our lawyers who will be happy and able to advise you on your own particular circumstances.

1 Step 1

Quick Quote

Your Nameyour full name
Contact Number
Post Codeyour full name
Your Messagemore details
0 /

Paul Stubbs - Litigation
Paul Stubbs - Litigation
paul.s@ehlsolicitors.co.uk 01332 862 113
Related author articles
Article tags

Map and pin icon
Sign up to our newsletter
  ERROR: 8 - CURL error: