Complaints Procedure

Any expression of dissatisfaction about the service you have received from Edward Hands & Lewis will be considered seriously. We will respond to any client who is unhappy with our service in a timely manner in order to address any concerns.

Edward Hands & Lewis is committed to providing a professional service to all our clients. If you feel we have failed to achieve an acceptable standard of client care we encourage you to let us know in order to provide us with the opportunity to improve our quality of service.

Putting things right

We recognise that in many cases it is possible to resolve any issues, and we would prefer to work with you to address any concerns as a priority.

If you are unhappy with our service at any point of your matter, in the first instance you should contact the file handler dealing with your matter.

You can contact your file handler either by telephone, letter or email.  In most cases the file handler dealing with your matter will be able to resolve your concerns quickly.

Should you still be unhappy, you can contact your file handlers manager.

Working with the resolution team

Should you be unable to come to a satisfactory resolution with your file handler and their manager you can raise your concern with a member of our resolution team for a review to be undertaken.

You can contact a member of our resolution team by telephone, letter or email  Please note that our resolution team will only consider matters where you have previously sought to resolve this directly with the file handler and their manager.

The resolution team will:

1. Acknowledge receipt of your complaint within five working days of receipt,
2. Review the matter,
3. Wherever possible, look to resolve the issue, and
4. Provide a written response within four weeks of acknowledging receipt of your concern.

As part of the investigation carried out by the resolution team we will:

1. Review your file;
2. Speak with the file handler;
3. Speak with the file handler’s supervisor;
4. Consider the points you raise and provide a considered reply.

As part of this process, we would continue to seek to remedy any concern or issue that you may have; ongoing work will not be disrupted by this review.

Raising a complaint

In the event that our resolution team are not able to satisfactorily resolve the problem for you, and you wish to raise a complaint, this must be done in writing addressed to our compliance team sent to  

Should you wish to write to us rather than email, then this should be addressed to:

Compliance Team
Edward Hands & Lewis Solicitors
299 Main Street

This is the stage at which we would recognise this to be a formal complaint.

The compliance team will acknowledge receipt of the complaint within five working days. During the review the compliance team will liaise with the resolution team and review the matter in full.  A written response will be sent within four weeks of the complaint confirmation date.  This will set out any proposed remedy, and will state whether it is our final response or whether there are further steps to be taken to resolve the matter.

Referral to the Legal Ombudsman:

Upon receipt of our final letter, if you are not satisfied with the outcome you may have the right to complain to the Legal Ombudsman, an independent complaints body, established under the Legal Services Act 2007, which deals with legal services complaints.

The Legal Ombudsman scheme rules say it can look at complaints if:

- It happened within six years of the problem happening;
- It happened within three years from when you found out about it;
- You refer your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within six months of our final response.

The Legal Ombudsman will not usually consider any complaints unless you have followed the above complaints procedure.

You can contact the Legal Ombudsmen via the following contact details:

By writing:

Legal Ombudsman
PO Box 6806

Telephone: 0300 555 0333
Email address:

Complaints to the SRA:

When you should report a solicitor to the SRA

The SRA deal with cases where firms or those they regulate have breached the SRA Principles. Most of the time, complaints about solicitors are about poor service, and therefore should be sent to the Legal Ombudsman. If the Legal Ombudsman thinks your case involves a breach of the SRA Principles, they will refer your case to the SRA.

However, you should report the matter directly to the SRA if you think a firm or anyone regulated by the SRAhas breached an SRA Principle. You can also report a firm or someone regulated by the SRA for non-payment of professional fees (such as agent or expert fees) if you have a County Court judgment in respect of the fee, and the judgment relates to the practice in connection with providing a legal service.

There are some issues the SRA do not investigate. However, the SRA always consider allegations of dishonesty or discrimination.

If the SRA have closed a firm and you believe that the firm owes you money, you may be able to make an application to the Compensation Fund.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority could help you if you think a solicitor might be dishonest or you have concerns about their behaviour. Examples include: Shutting down their law firm without telling you. Dishonesty or deliberately overcharging you. Taking or losing your money. Treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic.

Reports to the SRA should be made on a form available at

post: Solicitors Regulation Authority The Cube, 199 Wharfside Street, Birmingham, B1 1RN
telephone: 0370 606 2555